I am sitting in the main terminal of the Denver International Airport, where I will be waiting approximately 5 hours more before boarding a plane to LA. So far, totally worth it.
I have a tendency to plan the broad strokes of something far in advance-- days off work, booking flights, etc. The little stuff, like what to do in my spare time between flights and shows, or where I'm staying, or how I'm getting around... That stuff I prefer to "wing it," part because I'm lazy, but part because it makes things fun and interesting, keeps me on my toes. So as of Saturday, the day before flying out to Denver, I had not lodging or transport booked for my 3- night stay.
I looked at some hotels online with my travel conpanion Fiona, but we were lost on transportation. Knowing that we'd meet up with Kyle (of morecowbell.net and arcadefire.net), we called to find out wherabouts he was staying so maybe we could share some rides. I got home from work on Sunday to find Fiona with the good news that Kyle had his sister's large fancy suburban Denver home all to himself, and wouldn't mind us staying over provided we chip in for gas. This turned out ideal, as kyle was going to both of the same shows as us: Arcade Fire at Red Rocks on Monday and the National on Tuesday, even flying out the same day, albeit 6 hours earlier (thus my current situation).
After some Lunch at a quality Mexican food establishment in Morrison and a long walk, some waiting, and lung-tearing high-altitude run into the venue, we'd arrived at Red Rocks. I went there once when I was about 8 or 9 years old, barely remembered it. I'll remember it for sure this time. Amazing venue, and a fantastic show. LCD Soundsystem played all their best songs (in my opinion) and the sound was fantastic. A 250-pound dude in hot pants danced along to every song. Arcade Fire blew the place away. The played all of their highest-energy songs (tough considering the altitude) and a few calmer numbers including a rarity and personal fav Cold Wind. The crowd was great, lots of interaction. Above is a pic of Win singing power out in the middle of the crowd. Off to the left of the photo, 7000 people, all totally pumped.
Nothing could top that, but the adventures never end. After a brief trip up to Boulder on Tuesday and some record-shop trolling, we went to see the National at the Ogden theatre downtown. Really cool venue, sort of like a multi-tiered 9:30 Club with amazing sightlines everywhere in the place. Of course we were right up front. Opening act St Vincent, who I'd actually never heard, was great. She plays a guitar and other things but mostly guitar, sometimes raw, and sometimes with tons of interesting loopers and effects. The National put on a really solid show. I wish I knew their music better, because they can totally rock out and put on a good show.
One of the cool things about hanging out with kyle is that he tends to end up on guestlists, meaning we got to hang out a bit after the show. We talked a lot with The National's Aaron and Bryce, both very cool dudes with some good stories and nice insights about life as a musician. This whole thing became ever more surreal when a couple of somewhat groupie-type girls brought out a hula hoop. So there we were in an empty 1500-capacity venue having a hula-hoop lesson with members of the night's headliner. Having to get up early, we finally headed out, but not without a grease-filled stop at Good Times first. They totally fucking forgot the ketchup for my chicken fingers. That's ok-- it was a good night anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment