Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Almost Day 1

For the next week and a half or so, I will be on tour with Bellflur as they trek across the northeastern United States (and a bit of Canada), playing all sorts of venues and hopefully earning enough to pay for gas to the next town. My job on this tour will be to shoot video. I have no plan yet for what I will shoot, besides maybe just everything. Right now my video camera(s) are with the band in Minneapolis, MN. I will be joining them in the land of a thousand lakes circa tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I will get a chance to see the Mall of America again (last time I think I was in like 5th grade). Then there will be a show at the 400 Bar, which I've actually heard of before!

The tour officially kicked off on Saturday, at the Rock n' Roll Hotel in Washington, DC. I have to say, I really like that venue. Good atmosphere, decent sound, interesting decor (flying guitars upstairs). It was my birthday, and a good way to celebrate it at that. Bellflur's set was quite good; they sound better than ever, and the new material is interesting and engaging enough that I am officially quite exited four this tour.

After the set, we travelled to the Broadway Diner in Rockville, MD. If there's one thing I like, it's 24-hour diners, and this one was no exception. It reminded me less of the other local diners I'm used to in Northern Virginia such as Bob and Edith's or Amphora's Diner Deluxe, and more of the establishments I used to frequent in Rochester, NY such as the infamous Jay's or the less-infamous Mykono's. Maybe we can make this a tour of diners across the USA. Over the course of Grilled Cheese, I received a series of text messages from a British student of American Literature named Tom, beginning with the word "Torch" followed closely by "Snorkel." Each single word text was given a single word back, until my entire phone was full. The resulting series of words will one day be the basis for a concept album.

I should be sleeping, of course, as I'm sure I won't be getting nearly enough sleep (and certainly none in a proper bed) for the next two weeks. I embark on this potential adventure in approximately 5 hours. Hopefully the plane to Minneapolis will crash zero times on the way, and by the next time I make a blog post I will have some video done already. Until Then!

No comments: