Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Staten Island

New York City, one of the few cities in the world where there will be bad traffic somewhere in the city literally around the clock. Of course we hit traffic crossing the George Washington Bridge (we were trying to dodge around manhattan, and come in to Staten Island via jersey). More surprising was the really shitty traffic heading back from Brooklyn at 1am. Seriously. 1am.

While on the road, I've been reading On The Road. I haven't been reading it very quickly, as there's been lots doing while on the road. I think I'm enjoying it more this time around than the first time I read it, if only because now I'm better travelled. There are some parallels. It's nice to know that young people around my age have been hitting the road to travel around the U.S. for generations. And while some things may change (we now have free WiFi, GPS devices, and Cell Phones), the basics are still the same: getting in a shower wherever you can, meeting up with old acquaintances at a moment's notice, eating shitty diner food. Ah, America!

So we're at Tom's parents' house on Staten Island. It's actually a really nice house. Very comfortable. And Tom's mother cooked us a delicious dinner last night. Pasta, Chicken Parmesan, etc. After a week of White Castle, Denny's, and Dunkin Donuts... pure bliss! Thanks, Mrs. Longobardi!

We dipped in to Brooklyn last night to check out the venue for Saturday's show (unfortunately I will be back at home by then--looks like a really cool place), pass out some CDs, and meet up with a couple of Tom's old friends. Williamsburg seems like the type of neighborhood I'd really get a long in. Tons of indie rockers... many bars and coffee shops and always a show going on! We went to a bar called Matchless to see Tom's friends' band The Hidden Ratios, playing for free in a room that made a considerably nice venue considering it was clearly a former garage. Lights on the stage in colors other than red! And the bar was packed, on a tuesday night! There were even girls there, and many of them didn't appear to be dragged along by their boyfriends, as has been the case with 90% of the girls at every show we've been to so far.

Tom's friend Max has the most amazing studio... It was only a few blocks away from the apparent hipster hub of brooklyn. Neat, clean, and full of gear: no less than 3 organs, piano, wurlitzer, many synths, drum machines, but it goes on. Obscure stuff like Mountain Dulcimer, Kalimbas, Accordions and concertinas, a motherfuckin' Theremin, and TWO motherfuckin Omnichords! Not to mention mandolins, cellos, etc etc etc etc. Wow. Wish I'd brought a camera.

The band is playing in Manhattan tonight. I'm pretty excited. Gotta pack up the car now. Adios!

2 comments:

Rachel Kay said...

who OWNS a THERAMIN????

cali barbara said...

...i was totally about to say exactly that.